21 December 2011

Doctors, doctors, doctors....would it ever end? (A look back at all the pre-op testing)

November 2008: the testing begins. I had it relatively easy compared to most WLS candidates. I was assigned to the Naval Medical Center in San Diego. So a lot of the testing I needed to have done could be done in one place and several tests could be done on the same day. Some of the testing one can expect is, first and foremost, a LOT of bloodwork...which is a good thing considering that's how they keep track of how we are doing. Lung testing, EKG's, chest x-rays, sleep studies, psych evals, nutrition visits, classes on pre-op and post-op, and diabetes testing to name just a few. I passed just about all of them. By passed I mean the results were within acceptable parameters. I was not healthy; I was "surviving". My A1C was so high, I immediately went on medication and my diet was restricted. Unless I could get my A1C down to 6.0, surgery was not happening. This proved to be my greatest challenge.

The chest xray showed an enlarged heart. During the sleep study, I stopped breathing for so long that I'm told there were two nurses standing by my bedside and one was in the monitoring room with her fingers resting on the alarm switch that would bring an ambulance. That's a bit scarey when I think about it. They didn't tell me until a week or so later when I went in for my follow-up. I was told I took a deep breath 3 seconds before the alarm switch was to be hit. Needless to say, I went on a CPAP machine. (Anyone need one? I haven't used mine in forEVER.) My lungs were okay just a bit strained. Nutrition was "fun". My nutritionist is wonderful; she's seen me through so much and showed such patience.

My psych eval was to me, amusing. She was my final visit with the exception of still working on A1C levels. I had had months of prep work. I knew what was going to happen and I was fine with it. I was ready. I had no misgivings. I'm one of these people that works things out on my own. I believe everyone is responsible for his/her circumstances. You don't like them? Change them. It's okay to talk to a friend, get some encouragement, but bottom line for me...stop whinning and fix it. And sure as heck don't go blaming others or the Lord for tough times. That's just not cool.

With that attitude, I think I disappointed the therapist. Seriously...I really think I did. We spoke for a long time, she asked questions about my past, growing up, etc. I was completely honest. I commented, she took notes. It was a fun chat. We laughed a lot. I tend to see the humor in situations. For me, it helps to heal. Then came the final question. She was smiling as she asked..and I will never forget this.."What are your fears regarding all of this?" I smiled back and said, "I don't have any". Well boy howdy, you should have seen her eyebrow raise. She was good at keeping her face unchanged, but her brow rose and wrinkles were all over her forhead and she slowly began to write down something. I panicked. I knew she thought I was a looney. I had to have a fear. So many thoughts tore through my brain within about a millisecond and I knew I had to show fear so I blurted out..."Well, I do have ONE fear. And it scares the life out of me". She stopped writing and looked up with a questioning expression.

I knew this was it, make or break. So I admitted apprehensively to her, "I have a big fear of going under and dieing on the table". BINGO. Her expression relaxed as she explained it was a healthy fear. She then went on to discuss the why's and what for's of the process. Don't get me wrong, I used to really have that fear but I have dealt with it and it's part of that preparation phase. I had crossed that bridge and it was behind me. The discussion was helpful and after we finished talking she said she felt strongly that I was absolutely prepared and ready to have the surgery.

Driving back home, the only issue left on my long list was A1C. Could I get the levels down? Would I be able to have the surgery. Would this ever come to an end?

4 comments:

  1. The holidays are here and the cany making and baking are done just waiting for the kids to arrive. I am sitting on the track and not moving up or down but I seriously watch what I put inmy mouth. we had bacon 2 eggs for breakfast and 3/4 cup of chili forlunch. Today my arthritis is taking a toll and I am going to lay down on the heating pad. I want to be sure this posts before I spend much time on it.MERRY CHRISTMAS

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how are you feeling? That's the big question. I hope you did eat more than just that though. It's not very much. I am so proud of you, Hon. Remember not to starve yourself though. All that's going to do is drive you nutters til you finally give in.

    Have a wonderful Christmas! I look forward to chatting with you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your descriptions of the therapist's face. I don't even know her, but I could picture her exact expressions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your trip thru the process sounds just like mine.I had Gastric Bypass on 5-20-2011.It has been a journey.I started at 324 lbs was my highest weigght currently I am 214 and still need to lose a alot more.....

    ReplyDelete