15 December 2011

One of Those Days

It's been one of those days. I've been trying to find my file with my original paperwork in it so I can go through co-morbidities, what to expect, etc. Can't seem to put my hand on it for some reason. Maybe that means I shouldn't post it. LOL.

It's coming up Christmastime..kids are getting out of school. It's the 2nd most important time of the year for me. The first one being Easter. This is when I reflect on my life and the blessings I've been given. In particular, with joining a few online groups, I'm thinking more about my life and how things have changed over the past 3 years.

Obviously, we can't change our pasts, but we have control over our futures.  For me, it was important to have the surgery and to start things fresh, if you will. There are a lot of challenges physically as well as mentally when you have gastric bypass surgery. And come to think of it, there are many similar challenges if you are obese and dont have the surgery. Ain't it funny?

What I try to enforce to everyone is to be true to yourself. Gastric Bypass Surgery is NOT a quick fix. And certainly, it's not for everyone. I chose it as a means to an end. I wanted to lose the weight badly enough to go through this experience. For me, it was the right choice. I would do it again (and I pray I never have to do it a second time).

I'll do some serious looking around for the file and see what I can post later tonight or tomorrow. I don't want to get into the habit of skipping days. If I skip one...I know myself well.. I'll skip two or three and pretty soon, this blog will become just another attempt at something I quit. And that is just not an option.

L

***No one can make you feel inferior without your permission***

2 comments:

  1. since I have become affiliated with a new friend the last 7 years are filled with memories of this journey. I will tell you now that I did well for 5 years and then gradually gained back 50 lbs. I started out at 262 in nov. 2003...by august 2005 I was at 143 and anorexic. By june 2006 158 and very comfortable in my own skin.InMarch of 2008 my wt was at 175 and now in dec of 2011 is 205. I am making the effort to get back on track and my scales have been the same for 6 months. Th best advice I could ever give is do not get complacent. After a few years your body does some adjusting and carbs you could never eat before suddenly raise their ugly heads once again. I am comfort eater and have been my whole life. when the surgery was new I followed directions to the t and in fact I gained this weight back by not paying attention to what I put into my mouth. am 65 years old and am going to go to the Y 3x/wk after the holidays. I can't walk due to my arthritis but I can darn sure pedal water.I will lose at least some of this weight. I would be happy with 30 lbs.nowto a little of my travels. My first pre-op meeting in a group of 20 other fat people like me was exhilarating.. for the first time I felt at home. I had the surgery done the day before thanksgiving 2003 and as I saw the lbs fall away it was like magic. the days of buying off the rack,no fear of gaining because sweets gave me dumping syndrome that would take me to bed, so I just left them alone. I ate other complex carbohydrates without a problem. The fear of ever getting fat again hit me when I reached 143 and climbed aboard the anorexic train. My husband took on the job of seeing to it I did eat and then like I said in 2007 nothing..nothing..nothing was a problem to eat in limited qantities. slowly but surely the pounds have returned. they tell dr's not be their own pat well nurses shouldn't either.. Durin the course I have dealt with nausea,dumping syndrome,anorexic behavior and finally the most important eating my way back to fat. I f you care to share I would be happy to hear from you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I want to hear from you, Patti! Thanks so much for posting. The more I talk to others who are post op a few years, the more stories I hear about gaining it back. Every single person has said the cravings for carbs returned. I find it fascinating. It seems to be a norm...I suppose part of the healing process. I was told it takes about 5 years for your body to fully heal from the surgery. It seems this is about the time frame for the weight gain if one is going to gain it back. I am so thankful for everyone who has shared their reflections on this. It keeps me watching exactly what goes into my mouth. As I've told you, I can't tolerate many carbs, so I just don't eat them. I stay away from bread and potatoes. There is no place in my life for them. Which seems to be a good thing. I love your attitude! Your vibrance is coming through. Keep it up! And remember not to starve yourself over the holidays or you could easily find yourself gorging and gaining. Be safe, my friend!

    ReplyDelete