12 March 2015

It's the little things....

It's midnight and I can't sleep.

The day I was discharged from the NMCSD in February, my surgeon had instructed me to stop by dermatology and have an unhealed 'scratch' on my nose looked at. I had told him it had been there since September and I kept scratching it so it wouldn't heal. I was thankful to get some assistance. The little scab on my nose was driving me crazy!

I sat down on that bed/chair thing and the dermatologist said, "yes, it's a basel cell". I had no clue what that was. It seems it is the most common of the most common types of skin cancer and the easiest to get rid of. She educated me and set me up for a biopsy. I had the biopsy and was told before I left that it was indeed a basel cell and I was set up for surgery.

Had the surgery last week (lovely stitching, btw) with a procedure known as Mohs (named after the doctor that developed the procedure). They take a bit off, send it to the lab, and half an hour or so later they let you know if more needs to come off. They do it again, send it to the lab, and wait again. The do this repeatedly until no cancer cells remain. Minimally invasive. Mine took 2 procedures and thankfully, it was not deep. They stitched me up and did a skin graft.

Tomorrow morning they will remove the stitches and the bolster holding the skin graft in place. After all I've gone through, why in the world am I so nervous? They will perform plastic surgery to make it look pretty...so that isn't what's bothering me. I just don't know why, but I can't sleep. I keep thinking about the stitches.

This seems such a small thing...but to me, it's feeling like a major challenge....or am I making it just seem like it is?

The question of the day....Is it that challenges are really so big, or do we just make them seem that way?

No comments:

Post a Comment